Monday, June 4, 2012

Witnessed A Hit And Run Accident

I'm sitting here right now waiting for my nerves to calm down. Not too long ago, on the way back from the post office, my kids and I witnessed a hit and run accident. So scary!

I'm wishing I had just gone to the post office this evening after hubby was home now, but because I had international packages to mail, I decided to go before hubby got off work. Really wish I had waited!

On our way home, we were stopped and waiting to turn when I noticed in my rear view mirror a vehicle coming up behind us at a fast speed. I couldn't turn yet as there were still on coming cars. Next thing I know, the vehicle that was coming up fast behind me swerved over to the other lane and caused a motorcycle driver to crash. I don't know if the vehicle actually HIT the motorcycle or just cut him off, making him lose control but either way, the motorcycle driver was on the ground, and guess where the vehicle that caused this was? Driving away!

I saw that the motorcycle driver was sitting up on the sidewalk and conscious so I drove to try to get the license plate number of the vehicle that did this. I had my daughter ready to help remember the number once we were close enough for me to see. Unfortunately I got stopped at a red light and lost the vehicle. This whole time my heart is racing and I'm shaking.

I turned around and we went back to the scene of the accident so I could tell the police what I saw. Unfortunately I don't feel like I was of much help but I feel like it was the right thing to do. It all happened so fast that I don't really remember too much. The policeman took my statement and my information in case they find the vehicle that did it. If so, they may call me as a witness.

The information the policeman took from me included my social security number which is making me even more nervous as I don't like to give that out. At the time when he asked for it, I didn't think anything of it, but now I'm wishing I hadn't given my social security number. Although, I don't know? Maybe I had no choice? Maybe it was required? Not that it matters now as I've already given it.

I just can't believe that someone would just drive away! That just FLOORS me!

No comments:

Post a Comment