Thursday, August 23, 2012

Following The Rules

This morning I walked my daughter to school. We had already made it as far as the sidewalk that goes around the front circle drive of the school when my daughter gasped out loud. I looked at her and she told me we needed to go back home.

I asked her why, trying to figure out what she could have forgotten? Upset, she preceded to tell me that she forgot to spit out her gum. Really? She thought I'd want to walk all the way back home just so she could spit out her gum? Ummm.....no.

I told her she could just throw it away as soon as we got inside the school. To which, again upset, she said, "But there's the principal and I'll have to say good morning to him."

I assured her she would be fine. She was still with me so it would be ok to throw the gum away when we got inside. I don't think she was upset or worried about it after that.

We reached her classroom and when peeking in to see if she went straight to a trash can, I saw the teacher and told her what had happened. I think she thought it was cute.

Apparently the teacher had told the class that the classroom was a no gum zone so the teacher thought that was why my daughter was so worried about spitting out her gum before getting to school. I told her no, I didn't think that was why. I think my daughter just knew in general that you shouldn't chew gum at school.

The next thing the teacher told me made me feel so proud of my daughter! The teacher said that at school my daughter is a real stickler to the rules. I told her I was glad to hear that and that it made me proud because at home my daughter has a hard time following the rules.

Isn't it funny how your kids can be two TOTALLY different kids? One way with you and another with other authority figures? It sure does make me feel like my hubby and I are doing something right though to hear how well our daughter is following the rules when we are not around.

No comments:

Post a Comment